Sarah is an accomplished trial attorney and has specialized in labor and employment law for more than 15 years.
Sarah began her career as a general civil litigator, defending many of the municipalities in Marin County in various types of cases. Under the pupilage of renowned trial attorney David Freitas, Sarah honed her skills in the courtroom and tried her first case during her first year of practice. Since that time, Sarah has been called upon by clients to handle all types of complex litigation matters through trial and appeal.
In 2005, Sarah decided to focus her practice on management-side labor and employment law, and began representing Bay Area businesses (both privately and through their insurers) in cases involving unlawful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wage and hour claims. She also provides general counsel services to her clients in the areas of employment policies and practices, employee discipline, labor relations and employee mobility. Sarah’s clients range from small businesses and start-ups (with just a few employees) to major corporations (with 500+ employees). She also represents several local non-profits.
Sarah’s employment practice also includes representing individual shareholders, officers and directors, in addition to companies, in commercial litigation matters, including shareholder derivative actions and trade secret litigation.
The following is a representative sampling of cases Sarah has handled during her career:
- Sarah successfully lead a trial team in two complex matters in Fresno County (and several related cases resolved by summary judgment in other counties) involving novel first amendment issues, resulting in judgments for national and local clients for the return of property valued in excess of $50M.
- Sarah obtained a defense judgment at trial in a lawsuit brought in Marin County against a local business owner by a former employee alleging quid pro quo sexual harassment.
- In a trial in Sonoma County involving a contract dispute, Sarah obtained a defense judgment for her client by motion for judgment at the close of the plaintiff’s case-in-chief.
- Sarah defeated a motion for preliminary injunction brought by an employer seeking to enforce a non-compete and trade secret agreement against two former employees.
- In a multi-million dollar wage and hour class action lawsuit brought in Marin County against a local business, Sarah developed a strategy based on the case of Chindarah v. Pick-up Stix to greatly reduce the putative class, resulting in a favorable settlement for her client.
Sarah is highly-regarded by her peers. During an anonymous peer review conducted by Martindale-Hubbell, she was described by fellow attorneys as “a consummate professional,” “a tremendous asset to [the legal] profession” and “the most highly regarded employment attorney in Marin County.” (See Sarah’s peer reviews on Lawyers.com here.)
Sarah is actively involved in the Marin legal community. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Marin County Bar Association, and she serves as the current Chair of the Bench-Bar committee. She is a past president of the Richard M. Sangster American Inn of Court. Sarah has also served as the Vice-President and as a director of Legal Aid of Marin, and is a past Chair of the Marin County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section. For nearly every year of eligibility, she was consistently named as a Northern California Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” which is a designation awarded to the top 2.5% of attorneys under the age of 40 in Northern California.
Before becoming an attorney, Sarah studied international business and law in Bangkok, Thailand and Barcelona, Spain. She lives in Marin with her husband and their two sons, where in her spare time she can usually be found playing golf or cheering on her boys at sporting events.
- California State Courts
- US District Courts – Northern District of California
- Richard M. Sangster American Inn of Court
President (2011-2012), Executive Board of Directors (2006-2011), Member (2003-present)
- Marin County Bar Association
Board of Directors (2019-2022), Bench Bar Committee (2018-present), Labor & Employment Law Section Chair (2011-2013), Member (2003-present)
- Legal Aid of Marin
Board of Directors (2011-2017)