Christopher Hayes represents clients in civil litigation and appeals. He focuses on business disputes, complex commercial litigation, and securities litigation. Christopher also represents clients in litigation over governance and control of business entities such as corporations and limited liability companies. He helps clients obtain insurance coverage to defend against pending litigation and indemnify for settlements and judgments. Christopher’s insurance coverage practice includes litigating against insurance carriers for bad-faith denial of coverage.
Christopher has extensive experience in securities litigation. He won a published decision of first impression in Madden v. Cowen & Company (9th Cir. 2009) 576 F.3d 957, interpreting the Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act of 1998. He has also litigated disputes over investment advisory services both in court and in FINRA arbitration.
Christopher also counsels churches and other religious organizations in litigation, corporate governance, charitable trust law, tax exemption compliance, employment law, ecclesiastical law, and clergy discipline. Christopher serves as Chancellor to The Episcopal Church in the Diocese of California, which exercises ecclesiastical jurisdiction over more than 75 Bay Area congregations. As Chancellor, Christopher serves as general counsel, advising on external civil legal matters as well as internal issues of canon law and corporate governance. Christopher regularly teaches continuing legal education to other church lawyers, focusing on First Amendment issues, attorney ethics, clergy discipline, and employment laws affecting churches.
Christopher has been a Northern California Super Lawyer since 2017. He is an avid runner.
- California state courts
- New York state courts
- District of Columbia courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- Marin County Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Philip Borowsky and Christopher J. Hayes, Continuing Education of the Bar, CEB Practitioner, Business Litigation, forms for petition to compel arbitration and petition to correct arbitration award
Married Filing Jointly: Federal Recognition of Same-Sex Marriages Under the Internal Revenue Code (1996) 47 Hastings Law Journal 1593
Church & Community Activities
- The Episcopal Church
- Advised more than 50 Episcopal bishops on filing amicus curiae briefs on civil marriage equality in U.S. Supreme Court and lower courts
- Member of Standing Commission responsible for revising the Church’s canon law (since 2016)
- Member of Task Forces on Women, Truth & Reconciliation (since 2018) and Study of Marriage (2016–2018)
- Disciplinary Board for Bishops (ecclesiastical court for professional discipline) (2011–2012)
- Episcopal Chancellors Network (since 2009, board member since 2014)
- American Friends of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem (trustee 2015–2021)